Read the text to answer question 1
1. To the guest, what does the notice mean?
A. The guests are advised to check out at 12 for an additional room’s charge.
B. The guests will pay an extra bill due to checking out after 12 noon.
C. All guests are not allowed to check out after 12 o’clock.
D. It is a must for every guest to check out at 12.
Read the text and answer questions 2 and 3.
2. Yafi’s profession is most likely….
A. a journalist of a magazine
B. a journalist of a newspaper
C. a photographer of a magazine
D. a photographer journalist of a newspaper
3. The text is written in order to….
A. announce to people the best photographer
B. invite people to come to Hawe Daily Post
C. inform people about Yafi’s new career
D. pass on good wishes to Yafi on his success
Read the text and answer questions 4 to
4. What does the text tell you about?
A. telling about small beautiful house at the countryside
B. spending holiday at the countryside
C. watching TV in summer holiday
D. describing a happy family
5. What is the main idea of the second paragraph?
A. The reason why they prefer the city rather than the countryside. B. The kind of feeling they had after the holiday was over.
C. The benefit of spending holiday at the suburb area.
D. The way they spent the night at the countryside.
6. Why did the writer and his family spend the night at the countryside?
A. They had something more important to do.
B. The activities were boring.
C. It was holiday on summer.
D. They were busy people.
Text for questions 7 to10.
7. What is the name of the ship which sank in the East China Sea?
A. Li Hua B. Xinhua C. Helios 3 D. Jiaxing
8. From the text above we know that the rescue operations have been done for….
A. five days B. six days C. seven days D. eight days
9. What is the main idea of the second paragraph?
A. The missing foreign sailors haven’t been found.
B. The numbers of the sailors being rescued were nine.
C. The possibility to find the missing sailors is very small. D. The captain of the ship is from Korea.
10. What does the text mostly tell us about?
A. The victims of the ship which sank in the East China Sea. B. B. The missing sailors.
C. The rescue operations to save the missing sailors.
D. The Panama-registered ship “Helios 3”.
Read the text to answer questions no. 11-12
11. What activities is Sekar going to do in the long holiday?
A. camping and hiking
B. camping and fishing
C. camping, hiking, jogging, and sitting around fire
D. camping, hiking and fishing
12. They are going to go to Mount Salak because….
A. It’s a summer season.
B. It’s a nice place for holiday all seasons.
C. It’s good place to go camping, hiking and fishing.
D. They’re going to fish in the river.
Read the following text and answer questions 13 to 15
MILK CALCIUM Dietary Supplement
600 mg 100 Soft gels Supplement Facts
Serving size : 1 soft gel Amount per 1 soft gel % Daily Value*
Vitamin D 200 IU 50 Calcium (from milk)
600 mg 60 Zinc 15 mg * *Daily value has not been established
Other ingredients: Gelatin, Glycerin, Purified Water
Directions: As a dietary supplement, take one soft gel for adults daily. Manufactured for: EXP 04 27 10 NU-HEALTH PRODUCTS CO. LOT 2 75 61 Walnut, CA 91789 Made in U.S.A.
13. When would it be best to consume the product?
A. before April 27th , 2010
B. after April 4th, 2010
C. during April 4th, 2010
D. on April 4th, 2010
14. How many soft gels does someone take everyday?
A. 1 gel B. 15 mg C. 200 IU D. 600 mg
15. “Daily value has not been established.” (Line 10) What is the meaning of the underlined word?
A. OrderedB. DeterminedC. Carried D. Helped
Read the text to answer questions 16 to 19
16. What does the text mainly tell us about?
A. The process of the 44th President election in US
B. The experience of Obama while he was a senator.
C. Inauguration of Obama as 44th gresident elect.
D. The biography of Obama before becoming the president elect.
17. In his earlier career, Obama used to be a lecturer in.…
A. Harvard Law School B. Harvard Law Review C. University of Chicago D. Columbia University
18. The underlined word in “…until his resignation on November 16, 2008…” (Paragraph 1 line 4)
means that he….
A. stopped doing his previous political activities.
B. was ready to be elected in the presidential election.
C. started to be actively involved in his new career.
D. got dissatisfied with his position as a senator.
19. How many years had he been a senator before he got into the presidential election?
A. 4 B. 7 C. 12 D. 18
Read the following text to answer questions 20 and 21.
Tamansari is an interesting place to visit. Many tourists come to Tamansari to find a unique atmosphere of the past periods. It is located about 2 km south of Yogyakarta Sultan Palace and was built by a Portuguese architect The Tamansari complex consists of:
1. The Sacred Room, As a hermitage place for the Sultan and his family.
2. The Bathing Pool ,A pleasure place for the royal family with two bathing pools that are separate
with a 2-storey building.
3. Kenanga or Cemeti Island , This is an interesting part with some buildings such as Kenanga or
Cemeti Island (forming Island), Sumur Gemuling and underground tunnels. This artificial island is a
high building used as a room to take a rest and an inspecting spot.
20. Tamansari is an interesting place to visit because.…
A. It was built by a Portuguese architect.
B. It is very close to the Sultan Palace.
C. It consists of some ancient buildings.
D. It has unique ambiance of the past periods.
21. The place where Sultan lives alone for worshipping is called….
A. the Sacred room C. The Bathing pool
B. the Sultan Palace D. Kenanga or cemeti Island
Read the text and answer questions 22 and 23
Our classmate, Heri, got a serious accident on the way home this afternoon and now is in the ICU of Moko hospital. See you there.
22. Why did Suhel send the message?
A. to invite Takin to Heri’s house
B. to share his problem with Takin
C. to inform Takin the bad news
D. to tell Suhel about his bad experience
23. According to the text we know that ….
A. Takin and Heri got an accident.
B. Suhel met Heri in Moko hospital.
C. Suhel is waiting for Takin in Moko hospital.
D. Takin, Suhel, and Heri are in the ICU of Moko hospital.
Read the following text and answer questions 24 to 25.
The Burj al Arab Hotel
Feel and enjoy your stay!
• Located on an artificial islet in Dubai’s harbor
• Beautiful scenery
• Pool, lounge, cinema, restaurant, fitness club and tennis court. • Special rate on Idul Fitri 50% off
24. How many facilities does the Burj Al Arab Hotel have for the guests?
A. 4 B. 5 C. 6 D. 7
25. “Located on an artificial islet in…” What does the underlined word nearly mean? A. Island B. Beach C. Valley D. Hill
Text for question numbers 26 to 29.
A long time ago there was a kingdom. Its name was Medang Kamulan. The people in the kingdom were very scared. They wanted to leave the kingdom. It all happened because the king was a beast. His name was Prabu Dewata Cengkar and he ate humans! Every day Patih Jugul Muda always provided some humans to be eaten by the king!
Not far from the kingdom, there was Medang Kawit village. A young man with a great supernatural power lived there. His name was Aji Saka. Everybody liked him because Aji Saka was nice, diligent, and kind hearted. One day, Aji Saka saw an old man was wounded. Some thieves just hit him and stole his money. The old man was the villager in Medang Kamulan kingdom. He told what happened in his kingdom to Aji Saka. Aji Saka was very angry. He decided to go to Medang Kamulan to give Prabu Dewata Cengkar a lesson. Aji Saka then went to the kingdom. “Who are you, young man? Ha…ha…ha…. I’m glad you are here. I’m starving,” said the king. He was so happy to see Aji Saka. He thought Aji Saka was there to be eaten by him. “I would gladly let you eat me. But I have one request. You give me your land with the size of my turban,” said Aji Saka.
26. How often did Patih Jugul Muda provide some humans for Prabu Dewata Cengkar?
A.every morning B. Everyday C. twice a day D. once a week
27. “Some thieves just hit him and stole his money“. The underlined word refers to….
A. Ajisaka B. the thieve C. an old man D. a young man
28. ” I’m starving.“ The word “starving “, can be best replaced by…
A. Hungry B. Sleepy C. Thirsty D. Angry
29. Prabu Dewata Cengkar liked to eat humans. It indicated that he was a…man
A. Selfish B. Cruel C. Weak D. stubborn
Read the following text and answer questions 30 to 32. A long time ago, Mount Slamet was very high. It was so high that it could reach the sky. People heard that they could take the stars if they were on top of the mountain. But no one dared to go there.
The people were afraid that the gods in heaven would be angry if people took the stars. However, the beauty of the stars made some monkeys dared to go to the top of the mountain. Led by their king, they went there and took some stars.
Batara Guru was the leader of the gods. He held a meeting. He invited Batara Narada, Batara Brama, Batara Bayu, and others. Batara Narada had an idea how to stop the monkeys. They would ask Ki Semar to help them.
Ki Semar was actually one of the gods. He lived on earth with his children, Gareng, Petruk, and Bagong. Ki Semar had a great supernatural power. He could cut the top of the mountain easily. But first, he wanted to give a lesson to the naughty monkeys. They had to be punished for stealing the stars. He then set a plan with his children to trap the monkeys.
30. “Led by their king, they went there and took some stars.” (Second paragraph) What does the
word “there” refer to?
A. Heaven B. the top of mountain C. the sky D. Mount Slamet
31. The text above tells us about….
A. Ki Semar and his families C. Ki Semar and Mount Slamet
B. A folktale from Central Java D. The Gods of Mount Slamet
32. What is the main idea of the fourth paragraph?
A. A plan to trap the monkeys.
B. Ki Semar was actually one of the gods.
C. Ki Semar had a great supernatural power.
D. The monkeys had stolen the stars.
Read the following text to answer questions 33 and 34.
To: All Marketing Managers
There will be a meeting this afternoon January 4th 2011 at 01.30 pm. The meeting will discuss the customers’ orders. Please bring the documents needed.
33. About the the customers, the meeting will deal with their….
A. Orders B. Needs C. Documents D. Complaints
34. Who are supposed to attend the meeting?
B. all marketing managers
C. secretary, director, and all managers
D. director, secretary, and all marketing managers
Read the text and answer questions 35 to 38.
Fruits are a source of nourishing substances that keep us alive and healthy. For example, they contain many vitamins, especially vitamins A and C, and many minerals, such as calcium, potassium, and zinc. They also provide fiber for a healthy digestive system and carbohydrates that the body needs to make energy. They don’t have a lot of calories to make us fat.
People use fruits for many things. We make juices from them. We cook bread and pie with them. We make jams, jellies and sweets. We freeze them to eat later. We even make alcohol from fruit. Beer comes from grains, wine comes from grapes, and some brandies are made from plums, apricots, or other fruits.
But most of the time, we don’t do anything special with fruits. We eat them fresh, just as they are!
35. What is the text about?
A. Vitamins B. Energy C. Fruits D. Minerals
36. What is the main idea of the second paragraph?
A. We make juice from fruits.
B. People use fruits for many things.
C. Some beer and brandies are made of fruits.
D. We freeze fruits to eat whenever we need later.
37. Which substance do we need to have a healthy digestive system?
A. Vitamins B. Calories C. Fiber D. Carbohydrate
38. “We freeze them to eat later.” (Second paragraph) The word “freeze” in the sentence is similar in
meaning to…. A. Liquidate B. ice up C. Preserve D. Cool
Read the text and answer questions 39 to 41.
There are many kinds of cactus plants, but most grow in deserts and other dry places. These plants have adaptations, or special features that let them live in places where there is little water.
Imagine only having to take one big drink of water two or three times a year. That’s all the water a cactus plant needs. The cactus is made up mostly of stems and roots. Most kinds of cactus have no leaves or leaves that are very small. The cactus is made for storing water, and water can escape through leaves.
The roots of a cactus spread out close to the surface of the ground. When it rains, the roots soak up as much water as possible. Cactus plants do not grow close to one another. Each plant needs lots of room to collect water. The stem of the cactus stores the water for later use.
39.The text is writen with the purpose….
A. to give information about cactus plants
B. to announce cactuses to the reader
C. to tell the reader how to find cactuses
D. to remind the reader about the unusual plant
40. Cactus plants do not grow close to one another because….
A. the roots of a cactus spread out close to the ground
B. they need a lot of rooms to collect water
C. they need to soak water through leaves
D. the stem of the cactus stores the water
41. The underlined words in “…the roots soak up as much water as possible.” (Paragraph 3) mean….
A. Absorb B. take out C. Include D. spread
Read the text to answer questions 42 to 43.
Gemblong (Sugar-coated Black Rice Cakes)
• 125 g (1 ¼ cups) black glutinous rice flour
• Pinch of salt
• 50 g (1/2 cup) young grated coconut
• 100 ml (scant ½ cup) thin coconut milk, warmed
• ½ tablespoon slaked lime water
Sugar coating :
• Oil for deep frying
• 75 g (1/3 cup) sugar
• 2 tablespoons water
1. Mix black glutinous rice flour, salt and grated coconut in a small mixing bowl. Pour the lime juice
and warm coconut milk into the mixture. Then, mix with your hands in the bowl to get fairly soft 2. Squeeze it for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth. Then, divide the dough into 10 to 12
pieces. Roll the pieces in your hands into oval shapes and flatten them to be about 1 cm thick. 3. Heat oil to a depth of 2 ½ cm over medium heat and fry the cakes for 3 to 4 minutes. 4. Mix the sugar and water in a small, heavy based saucepan and boil the mixture until the syrup is
thick. Finally, put the cakes onto a plate to cool.
42. Where will you pour the mixture of lime water and coconut milk?
A. in a small mixing bowl
B. in fairly soft, pliable dough
C. in a mixture of water and dough
D. in a mixture of rice flour, salt and grated coconut
43. The underlined word in “Roll in your hands into oval shapes and put them to flatten to about 1
cm thickness.” means.…
A. Make something flat C. Defeat someone
B. Destroy a building D. Hit someone
Read the text to answer questions 44 and 45
44. Where will the graduation party be held?
A. at the OSIS room
B. on Pegunungan street
C. at SPENSAA
D. at Ari Room, Priyati Hotel
45. How long will the farewell party be carried out?
A. 2 hours B. 3 hours C. 4 hours D. 5 hours
Complete the text below for questions 46 to 48.
Do you know how to make an Amazon hut? I am going to …(46) you how to make it. With the help of three or four people, we can make an Amazon hut. First of all, prepare palm leaves, woods, a saw, and strong ropes. Then, choose the place for the house. Next, cut the woods …(47) large sticks to make frame for the house. After that, tie the sticks together and make the frame for the house. Put the palm leaves on top for the …(48). Now the house is ready.
46.A. Tell B. Telling C. Tells D. Told
47. A. On B. Into C. Over D. For
48. A. Floor B. Wall C. Roof D. Column
For number 49 arrange the following words into a good sentence!
49. having – a tug – and – war – competition – the – people – are
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A. 6 – 7 – 8 – 1 – 2 – 3 – 5 – 4 B. 6 – 7 – 8 – 1 – 5 – 3 – 4 – 2
C. 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 5 D. 6 – 7 – 8 – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5
Choose the right order of the following sentences into a good paragraph!
1. He went to a big tree last night.
2. Anton wanted to be a rich man soon.
3.The boy was watching when he put it under the tree. 4. He brought the offering there.
5. The next day Anton went there again.
6. He stole the offering fast.
7.He hoped became rich, but actually he was still poor. 8. He wondered that the offering lost. He thought God ate it
50.A. 2 – 1 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 B. 2 – 1 – 3 – 5 – 4 – 6 – 7 – 8
C. 2 – 1 – 4 – 3 – 6 – 5 – 8 – 7 D. 2 – 1 – 4 – 6 – 3 – 5 – 8 – 7
II. ESSAY !
1. Describe about badminton !
2. What do we need to play badminton ?
3. Explain how to make a mango juice !
4. Where are these places located :
a. Borobudur temple
b. Tangkuban perahu
c. Bromo mountain
5. Mention some water sports !